I was planning to write this post for several days now as I faced this problem personally. And today finally I have found the enthusiasm. So few weeks back when I tried to open a website in my Google Chrome, I couldn’t open a single link. It showed the message:
Unable to connect to the proxy serverA proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between your computer and other servers. Right now, your system is configured to use a proxy, but Google Chrome can’t connect to it.
Here are some suggestions:
- If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or check with your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
- If you don’t believe you should be using a proxy server, try the following steps: Go to Wrench menu > Options > Under the Hood > Change proxy settings > LAN Settings and deselect “Use a proxy server for your LAN.”Error 130 (net::ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED): Proxy server connection failed.
I was a bit surprised as I couldn’t remember what change I had made or if I had made any changes in Chrome connection settings at all. Even Internet Explorer was having the same connection problem. But Firefox was working fine. I checked Chrome and Internet Explorer settings, but there was no proxy server configured. And the problem was happening only on my office network, all the browsers were working perfectly when I was at home. So it took me a while to figure out the problem as I did some Google search. The solution was a simple one. If you are encountering same kind of problem, follow the below steps:
- Open Google Chrome
- Click the wrench in the upper right corner
- Go to Options
- Then select Under the Hood tab from sidebar
- From there go to Change proxy settings> Lan settings
- Uncheck all the boxes
That’s all. Now try to open any website in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. It should work. Apparently I selected “Automatically select settings” checkbox. And it overrode the normal settings and somehow from my office network it was going through a proxy. Though I didn’t get the connection between Chrome and IE, IE started working fine too. I was not clear about issue, but at least I could solve it
So if you are facing similar connection problem in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer and your Firefox is still working, try these steps. Hope this helps!