Recently I removed all my my personal settings and did a clean re-install of Firefox 4 in my Windows 7 laptop. But then when I started Windows 7 again Firefox icon got missing. Instead it was showing a broken icon for Firefox on my Taskbar, Desktop and in Start Menu.
After some Googling I found the problem and its solution. You have to rebuild Windows 7 Icon Cache for that.
Follow the following steps to do that:
- Close all currently open folders.
- Use CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch Task Manager.
- In Process tab find explorer.exe and right click on it and then select End Process.
- Then click on the End Process button on the confirmation window.
- Now from Task Manger go to File>New Task (Run…) and type cmd.exe and click OK.
- In the command prompt enter below commands one by one
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
- Then again go to Task Manger>File>New Task (Run…).
- Type explorer.exe and select OK.
That’s all. Your Firefox icon should come back to you now